[ARMedslack] Kernel 2.10 and raspberry pi

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Fri Jul 19 19:24:26 UTC 2013

> just been to kernel.org to see if the raspberry pi is supported. I see
> no support for the device in any kernel previous to 3.10.1 which
> includes support for the BCM2835. I find this odd. I would have thought
> that patches would have been submitted and merged in the the kernel
> tree. We still got super H Dreamcast code in there so why no Raspberry
> pi? Work is still being done on 3.6.11 at raspberry pi github. Work
> stopped last year on 3.2.27, so why are the patches not in kernel.org?
> I don't get this. I could post this to Raspberry pi, however my feeling
> is that I will not get a definitive answer. Perhaps I am
> misunderstanding how the process works. Please enlighten me.

I don't know, but my question is - does it matter? If the support's in
3.10.1 then what's the issue?
Usually the developers keep the code in a particular branch until they get
it stable (which  usually takes months to achieve - which if they were to
have it in a moving-target branch, would mean that their code would need
to be refactored).  Once it's stable, they can forward port it into a
newer release -- the core of the code is tested but it just needs to be
shuffled about a bit to fit into the new tree.

I plan in late August to look at 3.10 for Slackware ARM, as it involves a
massive upheval for which which I do not have the time now; but if the
RPi support is there in 3.10.1, you might as well use the 3.10 kernel.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: http://arm.slackware.com