[ARMedslack] miniroot 14 and current: vi is broken

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Fri Jul 12 15:01:04 UTC 2013

>> Well actually on my live slackware 14 (x86)  vi is a link to elvis
>>
>> Although both are installed, by default vi is linked to elvis (and it's
>> not something I did manually). looking at the sizes I cannot but agree
>> that on the miniroot vim is just eating up space (just guessing that the
>> arm packages will me more or less the same size) and on top of that
>> there's 120Mb of dependencies to use it !

>Since (if selected) elvis is installed first (due to being in series 'a'),
>it sets up a symlink in the doinst.sh script.
>If vim is installed, its doinst.sh script checks for the presence of the
>'vi' symlink, and if not present, will symlink 'vi' to 'vim'.
>root at pepa:~/ac/source/a/elvis# head -n2 /var/log/scripts/elvis-2.2-arm-2
>( cd usr/bin ; rm -rf vi )
>( cd usr/bin ; ln -sf elvis vi )
>root at pepa:~/ac/source/a/elvis#

I noticed that vi  in the miniroot slackware ARM 14 is still vim and lacking libs to make it functional. Elvis is not installed in the miniroot.
Ok you can put it right pretty fast but it can be annoying if on the target device there is no means to get an extra package in apart from manipulating the flash.

Ciao
David