[ARMedslack] First boot on Raspberry PI for Slackware 14.0 for ARM

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 17:28:35 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM, stanley garvey
<stanley at stanleygarvey.com> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2013 01:05 "Dave Dowell" <dowelld at netscape.net> wrote:
>
> On 25/01/2013 23:34, Gregg Levine wrote:
>
> Hello!
> Okay group I just brought up the Slackware 14.0 for the Raspberry pi
> image available on Stanley Garvey's site. Aside from one nit, the
> device almost arbitrarily changed the eth0 setting to eth1 for reasons
> it did not clearly explain.
>
> Everything worked correctly from that one on.
>
> However how do I go about changing from UK keyboard to something
> resembling a US one?
>
> In this case Stanley I borrowed my screen from a (what else?) system
> running Slackware-13.37 and connected to it the HDMI cable via a
> HDMI-DVI adapter that I bought today. Earlier I also bought an 8
> Gigabyte card on sale from Staples and used an image writing tool from
> that system to write things out. And then connected everything from
> there.
>
> It came up exactly as expected. Except for that one nit concerning the
> Ethernet device swap. I once saw that happen on an Intel system I was
> trying to revive and knew where to fix things. But here? No I don't.
>
> I have the installer based image that David Spencer made up and with
> that and the screen I'll probably create a more customized one.
>
> The one strange thing is why would things swap names for the Ethernet one?
>
> But otherwise it is all good.
> -----
> Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
> "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."
>
> Is there a udev rule left on the image from the installation system,
> check in /etc/udev/rules.d and see if the 70-persistent-net.rules files
> has an entry for the eth0 hardware address from the install system.
>
> If there is you can just delete that file and the system will recreate
> it next time it boots, with your device (MAC address) listed as the eth0
> device.
>
> Thanks
> Dave
>
> Hi, Great to hear you got the image to boot!
>
> I have known about this issue for a while, I missed it when testing the
> images because I was swapping the cards between boards and assumed that udev
> was just picking up on a new mac address. I all ways remove
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and the ssh keys when making an
> image.
> The culprit here is /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless
>
> chmod -x /etc/rc.d/wireless
> rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> reboot
>
> Should fix it. Sorry about that. I will make some new images with this fixed
> and a prettier boot partition soon.
> regards
> Stanley

Hello!
Thanks. As it happens I typed that out in a hurry. I bought a 16,
which I did write out your image to. I'm going to leave that image on
it, and work out how to reset the keyboard settings. (Even if I end up
importing the keyboard management tools from 13.37 or earlier via
source code files.)

I'll probably pick up the same card and try again with the installer
image since it also complained about space sizing.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com