[ARMedslack] Can't slackpkg update to latest jre/jdk

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Thu Feb 21 12:05:32 UTC 2013

> > Try Installpkg, I don't think these packages where present on release
> > of 14.0. My understanding is that they where added to patches after
> > slackwarearm-14.0 was released.

Hmm.  That does sound like a bug in slackpkg -- because whenever a new 'current'
branch of Slackware is released, all of the previous ChangeLog entries are chopped
from the ChangeLog.txt apart from the release note of just released stable
version.

This means that if a package isn't updated for the entire life time of
"-current" up until the next release, then it will never appear in the
ChangeLog.txt for that release.  However, it may appear in "patches" if a
security patch appears after the release is made.

This isn't the reason why OpenJDK isn't in Slackware ARM of course, but
the scenario I have described is plausible.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: http://arm.slackware.com