[ARMedslack] Hello everyone

Nigel Sollars nsollars at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 00:26:18 UTC 2013

Hey,

I totally agree on all points, ive been thinking about installing options
on a panda.  I am using a n 8 and  16 GB SD card,  now the panda does have
the ability to tftp / PXE and boot from SD.

So an installer of some description could be performed, perhaps the
simplest would be a pxe boot to boot a minimalistc image to bring up the
10/100 ethernet and install over the internet from a repo.

You have to be careful I think with SD card partitioning as fat is required
for MLO Uboot / Kernel combo and then the root for the linux stuff ( ext3
jffs or something similar ).  I think it would make sense to have a decent
default set.

Then the installation would take place there after installing the current
release.

..

I have enough equipment here at the house to perform something here and
atleast get enough built to get something going.

The panda is quite advanced vs say the Pi its a Dual Core A9 @ 1.2Ghz and
has Neon Hard Float and all the trimmings.  My question to that end is I
was looking at using the linao gcc toolchain for this one as they seem to
have the best speed / results for this board, is there any preference /
thoughts on this?.

I think this thread has been very positive thanks for your time.

Nige

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk>wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
>
> > So maybe do an image that then starts off running the ncurses slackware
> > configuration tool to setup networking / wifi etc etc.  may require some
> > changes / additions for wpa_supplicant.  Under all distro's ive tested
> with
> > none deal with wpa_supplicant, so it requires manual editing.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think the concept is great for systems upon which the installer
> cannot be used, but what's the real purpose of not using the installer on
> systems where it can be?  To me, the Slackware installer should be able to
> run on almost anything since it's a light weight curses installer. You can
> almost (if you're careful) install via the serial console.
>
> I provide the installer for systems where the device has an integrated or
> directly connected 'hard drive'.  Therefore the thought is that you're not
> going to open your device to connect it to an x86 just so you can write a
> disk image to it.  Instead, you boot the installer and install upon the
> local disk.
>
> For systems that run off a compact flash (or similar) only, I can see the
> point in supplying a disk image, however.  If there's a trend of demand
> towards disk images, a 'first boot' (as they do in Red Hat) could certainly
> be done (by someone!) where it'd run the /var/log/setup scripts and as you
> said, run the normal config scripts that are usually run after the
> installer has finished installing the packages.
>
> Whoever maintains support of a community supported device (i.e. not one I
> maintain in the main tree), they're really free to make the best choices
> for that environment; but I'd still prefer to have a uniform installation
> process using the Slackware installer where possible.  This way it also
> hopefully means that there's consistency in stuff that works and that
> doesn't.  When there are images floating around that are made in a
> non-deterministic way, or with modifications that are unknown about
> upstream, then it potentially opens the doors to a breakage.
>
> Whilst I am thinking about it, if developers are making changes, it'd be
> useful to let us know on this list (may be making another -devel list in
> the future if the volume is high).  At the moment I
> occasionally take a look at what people are doing with the Raspberry Pi in
> order to try and
> keep the users able to use -current.  For example: since the RPi uses an
> older kernel than provided in the main tree, I need to try and make sure I
> remember not
> to recompile glibc with a requirement on a kernel that's not newer than
> they're using.
>
> I don't know the status of Eric's ARM hard float port, but the issues will
> be the same so it'll be interesting to see how best practices etc develop
> for this, the current Slackware ARM soft float port.

“Science is a differential equation. Religion is a boundary condition.”

Alan Turing