[ARMedslack] Mystery Prefixes

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Fri Feb 1 18:04:00 UTC 2013

> Can anyone explain the mystery prefixes on Firefox and Seamonkey? Most
> Slackware arm packages have the usual blah-*arm*tgz, however
> mozilla-firefox has the mysterious armv6j prefix. The slackbuild shows
> only -march armv5te?

ftp://ftp.arm.slackware.com/slackwarearm/unsupported/slackwarearm-current/source/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefox.SlackBuild

The -march is set to armv6j in the build script.  The script
you're looking at was not used to build the package .tgz you're looking at.

> Seamonkey has the prefix armhfp- I have not checked the slackbuild, but
> that would suggest hardware floating point. Could some one explain.
> Your confused,

Yes it's named 'hfp' for that reason which is mentioned in the build
script (at least in -current, but maybe not for 14.0).

However, there's some confusion on my part about what actually required an
HFP unit and what didn't because ISTR that during various Mozilla releases
(of all of the apps), at some stages I found info that led me to conclude
that the newer versions had instructions for, and only ran on systems with
an FPU; and other times it was due to the NEON extensions in (I think)
armv7 machines.  That made sense until someone told me that the same
packages I thought were armv7 only, also ran on the armv6 Raspberry Pi.

To conclude, I don't really know apart from anything named 'armv6j' really
was built for -march=armv6j.  Anything named 'hfp' definitley needs a
machine with a HFPU, but may or may not also contain the armv7 NEON
instructions.

Needless to say I am pleased to have dropped Mozilla.  What a ball ache
that thing was with every release.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org