[ARMedslack] Package auto? downgrade

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sun Aug 4 09:22:46 UTC 2013

> No I am not sure :-)
> I remember at some I tried to upgraded to 13.37, but changed my mind.
> So maybe a few packages got upgraded, including mutt, and later reverted...
>
> I don't use slackpkg often :-)
> So I don't master it and I am a bit scared of loosing my data when
> trying to upgrade cleanly....

When I upgrade a Slackware system, I *always* back up all of my data and
config files to another machine or media; boot the Slackware installer,
re-make the file systems and reinstall from scratch.
I usually find that this is faster than performing a system upgrade and
also there's no residue from the previous installation.

You should't use slackpkg to upgrade between distributions, as far as I'm
concerned unless you read the CHANGES_AND_HINTS doc that Robby puts
together to make sure you take any necessary manual steps on conjunction
with slackpkg.  For example, slackpkg has no idea what to do if a package
has been renamed as the only place it has to look is the ChangeLog.txt.

You could simply take mutt from armedslack-13.37/slackware/n/mutt-*.tgz
and use upgradepkg on your system.  However, it may not work if you do not
have any specific versions of libraries it requires.  Since you seem to
have aborted an upgrade previously, I'd wonder about what state your OS is
actually in.  To cut a long story short -- back up and reinstall with 14.0 :-)