[ARMedslack] slackwarearm on seagate dosckstar

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Thu Apr 18 09:47:47 UTC 2013

>> So I updated the uboot image with the install script (I did it by hand
>> the first time around and I;ll savemyself the trouble if possible) and
>> nor the kernel gets loaded properly. I still have an issue concerning
>> that the root filesystem on the usb stick is ext2 while the slackware
>> arm 14 initrd is looking to mount an ext3 filesystem. I think I can fix
>> that by remaking my usb stick image or by repackaging the initrd with
>> the correct fstype ... maybe I just need to recheck how I pass boot
>> parameters to kernel from uboot when I detect a valid usb stick !

>The resson it's doing that is purely because the kernels are built on a
>machine that has an ext3 root fs.

>Have a look through the INSTALL_KIRKWOOD document, as it explains what
>configuration to set up.  You need to supply the kernel parameter:
>  rootfstype=ext2
>to your boot string.

I remember that every time I change something in the uboot environment I tend to get unexpected things that require debugging.
Since the usb stick was created from a versatile virtual machine the easiest thing to get going is to remake another image formatted in ext3.

In fact that's what I did just to see that everything else was ok(and now I can boot into the real root). On the long run it's probably not a good idea to have journaled filesystem intended for disk on a MLC flash device ... so some time later I will look into getting things to work on ext2, for the time being I'll just make sure that the filesystem is mounted with noatime option.

One thing I noticed is that u-boot-tools (fw_printenv ... ect) seems to be missing from the slackware arm 14 repo ... I forgot where I got it from on 13.37 but on my old armedslack 13.37 it's installed:
u-boot-tools-2010.12rc1-arm-1

Regards
David