[ARMedslack] slackwarearm on seagate dosckstar

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Wed Apr 17 14:46:44 UTC 2013

> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>
> And that's it ... nothing more on the serial console and nothing on the
> network .... actually it does not even appear to mount the root
> filesystem as the last mount seems to be coherent with the last time I
> mounted it on my PC Do I need to recompile the kernel (I'm using the
> kirkwood uImage) or is there something else wrong ?

This usually happens when the kernel +initrd does not fit into the
allocated memory locations.  Make sure you have the u-boot memory settings
correctly set:

     Marvell>>   tftpboot 0x01100000 %SLACKTREE%/uinitrd-kirkwood.img
     Marvell>>   tftpboot 0x00800000 %SLACKTREE%/uImage-kirkwood
     Marvell>>   setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 nodhcp kbd=uk root=/dev/ram rw
     Marvell>>   bootm 0x00800000 0x01100000

I haven't tried the latest Kirkwood kernel on a Plug machine, but I know
it does work on the OpenRD client.  I added the 'earlyprintk' debugging to
the Tegra20 kernel which'd show you what was wrong, but I don't think this
is available in the kirkwood implementation (although I'll have a look
again later).

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: http://arm.slackware.com