[ARMedslack] miniroot 14 and current: vi is broken

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Tue Apr 16 15:20:26 UTC 2013

Well actually on my live slackware 14 (x86)  vi is a link to elvis

Although both are installed, by default vi is linked to elvis (and it's not something I did manually).

PACKAGE NAME:     vim-7.3.645-i486-1
COMPRESSED PACKAGE SIZE:     5.2M
UNCOMPRESSED PACKAGE SIZE:     24M
PACKAGE LOCATION: /var/log/mount/slackware/ap/vim-7.3.645-i486-1.txz

PACKAGE NAME:     elvis-2.2_0-i486-2
COMPRESSED PACKAGE SIZE:     655.0K
UNCOMPRESSED PACKAGE SIZE:     2.6M
PACKAGE LOCATION: /var/log/mount/slackware/a/elvis-2.2_0-i486-2.txz

looking at the sizes I cannot but agree that on the miniroot vim is just eating up space (just guessing that the arm packages will me more or less the same size) and on top of that there's 120Mb of dependencies to use it !

I remover the unused dependencies and added in elvis saving some 120Mb of disk space on the miniroot.

Bye
David