[ARMedslack] fix for missing Xvnc in tightvnc

Frank Boehm frank at thor.baldar.de
Wed Oct 10 08:25:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012, Stuart Winter wrote:

>> before I had my own Xvnc I used x11vnc, but I need Xvnc for xrdp
>> # CAUTION: make raspberrypi X server accessible without password!
>> /usr/bin/x11vnc -display :0 &
>
> x11vnc is in /extra already and works for me.
> Is there something wrong with it?

nothing wrong with x11vnc, but different intentions Xvnc <> x11vnc

x11vnc - (VNC server for real X displays)
Xvnc   - an X server providing VNC connectivity

Xvnc is a virtual Display, can be started with the resolution and color
depth of the connecting client. Several of them running at the same time for
different users.

With the help of xrdp and Xvnc I'm able to connect to my pi from any
windows pc without installing extra software. There are problems with
international keymaps, most of them patched for de layout in my version,
thats not perfect, but good enough for me.

cu Frank

--
Life's too short to read boring signatures.