[ARMedslack] Armedslack on WM8650

lee jones slothpuck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 20:15:45 UTC 2012

Hello all :)

Was just wondering if anyone had tried to get armedslack to run on one of
these devices at all? They're sort of a very cheap (found on ebay) small
netbook -- WM8650 cpu @ 800mhz, 800x480 screen, 256mb and keyboard. They
come in both netbook and tablet configurations, I'm using the netbook
version.

Found a couple of other distros others had made/ported, namely debian and
angstrom. Though it somehow looks like it uses the android kernel in
conjuction with those distros in some way.

I've briefly tried downloading the debian-based distro and replacing it
with armedslack (it comes in two seconds - a fat section and a ext2
section). The idea is to create 2 partitions on an sd card, forat the first
as fat, the second ext2 and then extract. Though I found if I replaced the
distro (the files on the ext2 section) all it would do is lock up. The
first part is just the boot loader and kernel (uzImage).

I guess it would need a special compile to get armedslack working.

Some links btw;
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/21211-7-wm8650-netbook-linux-port/
http://openwm8650.org/web/
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/28914-wm8650-angstrom-linux-with-gnome-desktop/
ftp://ftp.gpl-devices.org/pub/vendors/Wondermedia/WM8650/

ljones