[ARMedslack] Hello and questions about getting Slackware on the Raspberry Pi

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Thu Jun 21 07:43:48 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 08:20 +0100, Davide wrote:

> >> I've no idea whether the installer works directly on that platform,
> >> but you can get the miniroot working as long as you have a working
> >> kernel for the hardware.
> >> Look at the bottomb section in the supported platforms ... there is
> >> paragraph on "unofficially supported platforms". Look at them to
> get
> >> an idea as to how to go about getting slackware on the PI.
> >> Look at the mailing list archives as recently I recall someone else
> >> wrote they were working on getting slackware on the PI.
> >> Regards
> >> David
> >>
> >It has been done, sort of, here
> >http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6103
> >
> >I had this running until my pi died and I was quite impressed. I'm
> >looking forward to my next pi but this time I hope to put it together
> >myself if I can eat enough fish :^)
>
> What exactly do you eman by "until my pi died" ?
> Did your RPI hardware fail ? or did you have some data faliure ?
>
> I had in mind to buy one at some time ... but if you had a hardware
> faliure in shuch a short time that's putting me off !

The you have to be careful with what you use for a power supply and what
you use in the way of a powered usb hub. You should not have power into
the pi's two usb ports from a powered usb hub, you should be certain of
what your wall wart is supplying, not too little, not too much. There
has been enough discussion about this on the pi forum. the elinux
website has some very good info and also a list of good hubs, power
supplies and periphials.

I'm not quite sure what fried my pi, either a dodgy soniq usb hub, an
arc between connectors when plugging the hdmi into a monitor while the
pi was booting or both. The neither would have been an issue with a
normal pc. You just have to treat the pi a little nicer. I'm really
looking forward to getting my hands dirty with the next one.