[ARMedslack] Hello and questions about getting Slackware on the Raspberry Pi

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 16:36:31 UTC 2012

> But tbh I'm not sure whether I want to support this device officially
> (in-tree) because the RPi doesn't support initrds which means potentially
> a big change to how I build the kernels and modules packages;

In my experiments with ARMedSlack on a Seagate DockStar, I remember
using a mkboot utility to combine a kernel+initrd into a single blob
that u-Boot could boot. I don't remember the exact syntax and I
remember a gotcha or two (such as, the kernel had to be uncompressed)
but I did eventually get it to work.

Perhaps such a combined blob (two actually, one for the
kernel+installer and one for the kernel+initrd) could be included in
the distro for use on the RPi without any changes to the rest of the
ARMedSlack distro? It appears that U-Boot was recently ported to RPi.