[ARMedslack] nfs and qemu install

Rick Miles rickmiles at turtlespond.net
Thu Jun 14 19:24:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 19:12 +0100, stanley garvey wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2012 09:59 "Rick Miles" <frmrick at aapt.net.au> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 14:40 +1000, Rick Miles wrote:
> >

> > > Qemu-install.txt just says
> > > Choose '3 - Install from NFS (Network Filesystem)'
> >
> > I plan on eventually running this on a raspberrypi :<)
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Hi,
> > the Qemu-install.txt is quite old and you may save yourself some
> > headaches by using VDE.
> > see:
> >  alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:vde
> > This is how I Installed armed slack on qemu.
> > compile and install vde
> > use a script like this to set up networking: (As root)

Thank you very much for this. I have my weekend project now. This is all
new stuff for me. I've been lazy on linux for a long time

<snipped>

> > Good luck getting it to work on a slackberry pi, I have done just
> > that. you will need to compile a stock Raspberry pi kernel, (good
> > luck on back porting 2.6.37 to broadcom chip, would be cool though,
> > let me know if you do.)
> > get your .config from a running kernel, arch is good.
> > copy your /root from qemu to your sd card (boot needs to be empty)
> > linux partion and your uncompresseed kernel to the boot vfat partion
> > as kernel.img, don't forget to copy the kernel modules
> > to /lib/module, edit your fstab and cmdline.txt, phew! reboot and
> > voila!

I had armed slack from
raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6132&hilit=armedslack
running on a pi but fried the pi on a dodgy usb hub trying to use wifi
dongle, keyboard and mouse. I have a backordered pi due the last week of
June. I hope to get my hands a little dirtier then.

> > Minor niggles: ntpd wont set the clock, however ntpdate will, you go
> > figure? rootfs always loads as rw, perhaps a quirk of the pi boot
> > loader?
> > if you need alpha audio modprobe snd-bbcm2835
> > X will require building xf86-video-fbdev, and you will need to get
> > an xorg.conf from a running pi.

Thanks for the heads up, When I don't know what should be working its
nice to know what isn't.