[ARMedslack] nfs and qemu install

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Wed Jun 13 08:59:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 14:40 +1000, Rick Miles wrote:
> I've used nfs before for fileshares on our lan so I'm not a stranger
> there but I'm not so sure whats going on with a system, on qemu as an
> nfs client. I rsynced current last night
>
> Normally have dhcp via modem but changed to static ip configured with
> netconfig. Workstation 192.168.1.2 and gateway 192.168.1.1. Nobody
> else on lan so 192.168.1 3 and 4 are not assigned to anyone. As far as
> I know I can use rc.local-additions settings as is. I have
> edited /etc/exports as per qemu-install.txt. The one thing I am not
> clear on is what ip I assign the qemu machine do I give it 192.168.1.1
> for a gateway and use 192.168.1.2 for the server? Should I give gemu
> machine a diffeent ip? I haven't bridged anything but a modem and that
> was a very long time ago.
>
> Qemu-install.txt just says
>                  Choose '3 - Install from NFS (Network Filesystem)'
>
>                   Enter the IP address: 192.168.1.1
>                   Enter the
> directory: /export/armedslack/armedslack-current/slackware
>
> My path is different, thats all. I've tried for a couple hours using
> diffferent ip settings and can not get an nfs mount. Dropped out of
> setup and tried cli line and after making an entry to /etc/fstab but
> nfs but i just time out.
>
> I'm not quite sure what I should search for on the net and what I have
> found has not enlightened me. My qemu-1.0.1 install is from a
> slackbuild and I have run the debian raspberry pi build successfully
> on it. Host system is salix-13.37.
>
> Perhaps someone can give me a heads up on this

I'll sort the above out later.... right now I have armedslack-current
installed in qemu using this work around:

1) Set up an armhost directory with utilities, kernel image and initrd
as per the INSTALL_QEMU.TXT instructions.

2) Format an sdcard with three partitions, First partition will be root
filesystem second swap and third is used for the slackware directory
from armedslack-current. With two hard drives onboard the sdcard will be
seen as /dev/sdc

The largest card I had was 8gb. I gave sdc1 ~5.2gb, sdc3 ~1.76gb and the
balance was sdc2 for swap. To get the /slackware directory to fit in
sda3 I deleted the contents of package series I would not be installing,
that is, e, kde, kdei and t.

3) Format the partitions ext4, swap, ext4, mount sdc3 and copy
armedslack-current/slackware into the third partition

4) Create a harddisk.img using the command
  # dd if=/dev/sdc of=/your-path/armhost/harddisk.img bs=1M
Note that my sdcard in a card reader on my box is /dev/sdc.

5) Once image has been created cd into armhost and start the install by
running the command ./installer_launch.

6) After logging in as root and before running setup, create a directory
to mount the partition containing /slackware and mount it. The installer
will see the partition as sda3.
  # mkdir sda3
  # mount /dev/sda3 sda3
Note that you can not use /mnt in the root filesystem.

7) Run setup and when prompted for source media select 6. Install from
pre-mounted directory. When prompted for a source directory I enter the
path as per step 6 above, i.e. /sda3/slackware.

8) The rest of the install is standard slackware. Follow the prompts.

9) When the installation was finished I shut down, edited the
ROOTFSDEV variable in the disk_launch script from sda2 to sda1, saved
the script and then ran the script to boot into armedslack-current on
qemu.

Maybe now I'll figure out what I was doing wrong with the NFS
install :^! or maybe I'll see if I cam get my wireless dongle working
first since I plan on eventually running this on a raspberrypi :<)

Cheers