[ARMedslack] GuruPlug Wireless?

John O'Donnell unixjohn1969 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 07:57:49 UTC 2012

On 02/20/2012 01:49 PM, David Madden wrote:
> Hi, I've been working on customizing a GuruPlug to do some specific tasks on my
> home network. I've tried installing Slackware & Debian (both successful) but I
> haven't been able to build a functional kernel or get wireless running. So, I
> wonder:
>
> * How much of a hassle is it to get from a vanilla kernel tree to a bootable
> uImage? (I've gotten clean compiles using the config from /boot/config-whatever,
> but it hangs on boot after "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.")
>
> * Are the Marvell wireless drivers & tools integrated into the kernel / distro,
> or is it still an "add external software" project?

It is NOT a part of armedslack.  I have all the files needed (firmware / boot
scripts / binaries + source) to run an access point here:

http://juanisan.homeip.net/guruplug/uap-slackware/

The drivers are NOT a part of the armedslack kernel and need to be rolled in by
hand.  A patch for armedslack is here:

http://juanisan.homeip.net/guruplug/JJO-Marvell-Libertas-8688-AP-FULLPATCH-up-to-3.1.2.patch

> (I'm fiddling with this in the first place, rather than going with a full
> Slackware or Debian install, because I'd like to put together a minimal system
> that fits in the 512MB NAND Flash, so my USB disk can be all data.)

That shouldnt be a problem but you will need to add in UBIFS or whatever your
root fs is into the kernel as the guruplug MTD layout doesnt have a partition
for an initrd.

hope this helps
John

--
=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===