[ARMedslack] Cant get -current 3.1.5 to boot

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Sat Feb 11 07:08:13 UTC 2012

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 03:29:24 -0500
John O'Donnell <unixjohn1969 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I upgraded from 3.1.2 to the 3.1.5 packages yesterday. Before
> attempting to compile the guruplug UAP drivers I tried to boot and
> had no luck.  Hung at:
>

> -- ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
>     Image Name:   Linux-3.1.5-kirkwood
>     Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>     Data Size:    2090424 Bytes = 2 MiB
>     Load Address: 00008000
>     Entry Point:  00008000
>     Verifying Checksum ... OK
>     Image Name:   Slackware ARM Initial RAM disk f
>     Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
>     Data Size:    5811263 Bytes = 5.5 MiB
>     Load Address: 00000000
>     Entry Point:  00000000
>     Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
>

> I compiled up the modules and my own uImage with the .config that
> comes with the armedslack kernel source and the same thing happens.
>
> I set it back to 3.1.2 and it boots fine.

Oh bah, something definitely changed somewhere along the line :/

For a new project here, I need a newer kernel than the one in 13.37,
so I decided to use the 3.2.2 kernel from -current.  I get the same
problem here (albeit under slightly different circumstances).

Mine is installed to the NAND, and rootfs is on the mtd, so I don't
need an initrd at all; thus, my env settings are this:

Marvell>> printenv
arcNumber=2659
baudrate=115200
bootargs_console=console=ttyS0,115200
bootargs_root=ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs rootfs=ubifs
bootcmd=setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root); run bootcmd_nand; run bootcmd_slack
bootcmd_nand=nand read 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000
bootcmd_slack=bootm 0x800000
bootdelay=3
eth1addr=02:50:43:eb:75:43
ethact=egiga0
ethaddr=00:50:43:01:5D:EA
fileaddr=800000
filesize=36D00
ipaddr=192.168.13.1
mainlineLinux=yes
nand_erasesize=20000
nand_oobsize=40
nand_writesize=800
serverip=192.168.13.11
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial

When I boot, here's what happens:

U-Boot 2011.06 (Jul 26 2011 - 12:26:42)
Marvell-GuruPlug

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A1
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   egiga0, egiga1
88E1121 Initialized on egiga0
88E1121 Initialized on egiga1
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x100000, size 0x400000
 4194304 bytes read: OK
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 00800000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.2.2-kirkwood
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2082616 Bytes = 2 MiB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

...  nothing ...

I can boot the 13.37 kernel and such just fine still, but I don't
have any of the old 3.1.x kernels from -current.  I guess I'll have
to compile my own, because I *really* need something newer than
2.6.38 :/

-RW