[ARMedslack] SOLVED - ARMedslack hangs during boot on Dreamplug

Jim Hammack hammack at GotSlack.org
Fri Feb 10 03:50:28 UTC 2012

All,

   Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I was able to get the system
booted by flashing the original u-boot (U-Boot
2011.06-02334-g8f495d9-dirty (Mar 28 2011 - 05:21:06) - which does not
support ext2) and installing an older version of armedslack which uses
kernel 2.6.38.4.  I replaced uImage-kirkwood with dream-2.6.38.4-uImage
to get around the problem pointed out by Innes earlier with MTD support
causing the boot sequence to hang on dreamplugs.  The older kernel is
not really a problem for me and it matches what I'm running on my
Sheevaplug anyway.

   So it appears that my problem was caused by the version of u-boot I
was trying to use (to get ext2 support) and not by incorrect
environmental variables or by corrupted files.

   I had one problem after following the instructions in
INSTALL_KIRKWOOD.TXT.  I created a FAT16 /boot partition as Stuart
suggests in the documentation and specified that partition for /boot
during installation, but the Slackware installation did not write /boot
there for some reason.  So I had to reboot via tftpboot and copy the
files from my ext4 partition to the FAT partition.  I'd like to use ext2
for the boot partition (FAT apparently does not support symbolic links),
but at this point I'm afraid of bricking the box again by trying to use
another version of u-boot that supports ext2.  If anyone has been
successful with that, I'd like to find out the secret!

                                     Thanks,
                                        Jim