[ARMedslack] ARMedslack hangs during boot on Dreamplug

Innes Read armedslack at innes.veryspeedy.net
Thu Feb 9 13:26:07 UTC 2012

Hi,

This sounds like the exact same problem I had when I got my Dreamplug.
Here's the note chain that describes the solution:

Michael,

Thanks for pointing me to those, that got me going (I used a combination
of the with-linux kernel and the uinitrd from Slackware 13.37 to get
everything installed).  You made my day getting my plug all ready to go!

Cheers,  Innes.

On 21/08/2011 18:43, Michael Langfinger wrote:
 > Hi Innes,
 >
 > the problem is that the kernel that is delivered with ARMedslack has
MTD support compiled in. For some strange reason, this causes the
Dreamplug to hang. [1]

 > The workaround for this is pretty simple. Just compile a kernel
without MTD support or - which i did - use the kernel from "with-linux"
for the dreamplug. [2]

 > You also have to ensure that the uImage is on a FAT partition,
because the u-boot version on the Dreamplug doesn't support booting from
ext2 (except they fixed this in newer revisions, it's been a while since
i installed ARMedslack on the dreamplug).

 > Of course this workaround has the disadvantage that you have to take
care that a system update doesn't overwrite your custom uImage and you
have to take care about kernel upgrades yourself. I circumvent the
problem of an accidental upgrade (leading to an unbootable system) by
mounting the partition that contains the custom uImage to /boot-vfat;
/boot is just a folder. In this case a kernel upgrade will overwrite the
uImage in /boot, which doesn't affect the system boot at all. Maybe not
the best way, but it works.

 > You also might need to set the arcNumber (in u-boot) to the correct
value (should be 2659, iirc - unfortunately the dreamplug is about 50
kilometers away from my current position, so i can't look it up ;)).

http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=manimc8t872rscog9oeti7adb5&topic=5731.0

http://archlinuxarm.org/mirror/with-linux/index.php?dir=2.6.38%2F2.6.38.8%2F