[ARMedslack] Upset regarding raspberry pi - unsuported.-Opinion

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 23:45:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM, stanley garvey
<stanley at stanleygarvey.com> wrote:
> On Dec 25, 2012 17:19 "Stuart Winter" <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:
>
> the Raspberry Pi Foundation go and do? they create a raspberry pi store
> with Debian (Raspiean app store or what ever). enough already, I want my
> children to lean how to programme, not how to download the latest app.
>

> I don't see any issue, myself.
>
> [..]
>
> Also, it just occurred to me that an App Store isn't much different from a
> big 5.25" floppy disk containing loads of BASIC programs you could load in
> and run.
> The concepts are the same, just the name and the format changes.
>
> Guess I was just trolling, I was having a lack of faith,  I was not sure how
> a  9/10 year old would take to running Slackware. I wanted the children to
> use Slackware because I use Slackware, but time was running short. and I did
> not think I had it right for a 9/10 year old child, so  I thought 'hey why
> not just load the Rpi debian image?', checking the website I wrongly assumed
> they had gone commercial.  This was further fueled by the conversation I had
> with my partner concerning lock ins and proprietary software (
> iPods/kindles/android devices). My nephew is delighted with his RC
> helicopter, and the Boy wants only his XBox, the girl, however can't wait to
> write stories on the new computer . Now I have to teach her Vi.
> Happy Christmas and a fantastic new year.

Hello!
In the Linux world anything is possible. I just finished about an hour
ago using the rsynch command to retrieve the Raspberry PI stuff from
your site Stanley (Garvey) and found it to be an interesting process.
Incidentally the website mentions that the FTP site will accept
anonymous requests, it didn't.

Which I was surprised over but not annoyed at. I came to your site via
the notes on the location that you Stuart mention on the site
http://www.armedslack.org/ on the portion that discusses the device
http://www.daves-collective.co.uk/raspi/ that's on the release of 14.0 area.

I have one coming to me via the gift process (I hope) and naturally
will want to run Slackware there after I've gotten it to work with the
other guy.

My only problem is that of cross compiling a kernel, especially since
the host is running 13.37 and I'll probably be running 14.0 on the
R.PI device (target). I suspect I'll need to work on how to upgrade
the system and preserve my content.......

Other then that gentlemen thank you and I wish you a good holiday season.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com