[ARMedslack] Armedslack on the Efika i.MX515 (ARM Cortex-A8 800MHz)

lee jones slothpuck at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 12:26:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 10:10 AM, lee jones <slothpuck at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Have you got network and Xorg running? Can you add some screenshots?
>
> I just about have networking (wlan) working right now with wpa_supplicant
> and dhcpcd. Not tried anything else yet though. X will be compilcated. Not
> much to see in screenshots right now apart from the command line!
>
> ljones

Some good news and bad news.

Good news? I can now say after installing alsa that the sound works.
Thinking that after installing alsa I'd need to run alsaconf  - alsaconf
dosen't seem to run correctly (I get error message such as "modinfo: could
not find module snd") however it appears it didn't need to be run in the
first place as the sound seems to be working anyway. I tired installing
mpg123 and also libtool (it needed it) and tired to play an mp3, which
worked. Also alsamixer seems to be working.

The bad news is X, I'm afraid. From what I'm reading (and I'm not 100% on
any of this) the mx smartbook needs its down driver called xf86-video-imx
which would need to be compiled from scratch, though it dosen't provide any
2d acceleration for X. Again I'm guessing here but that needs lots of other
libraries which need to be built (e.g. libz160bin) and other libraries, some
of which may be propietary(!).

I'm trying to infer some of this from this post -
http://www.powerdeveloper.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1870&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

..so for now, X is impossible right now.

ljones