[ARMedslack] Armedslack on the Efika i.MX515 (ARM Cortex-A8 800MHz)

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Thu Sep 1 20:36:30 UTC 2011

> That's certianly a good idea, quite agree about recompiling the kernel. Only
> snag is I don't know anywhere near enough about doing so - especially on
> arm, and from what I've read there needs to be special bits 'n' pieces
> compiled in for (say) the gpu to work properly. I'm really thinking I'll
> have to wait this isn't something I have anywhere enough ability to do x.x !

Each architecture should have a default configuration.
So you cd into the root of the Linux kernel source, and do for example:
  make ARCH=arm rpc_defconfig
which would place the RiscPC default configuration as the kernel '.config'
file.  You can find the configs in:
  arch/arm/configs

If the Efika can boot via tftp (I haven't been following the thread much)
then you place the newly compiled kernel onto your tftp server and boot it
over the network.  This way you leave the original one (on your NAND or
whatever) in tact.  This is how I usually test the new kernels for
ARMedslack.
This way, if your kernel works then it does -- if not, you can recompile
until you get it right.

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org