[ARMedslack] Video playback on AC100

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Tue Oct 11 08:01:59 UTC 2011

>> I'll try ... I'm already using ununtu kernel sources to get a working

>> kernel. I'll surf around ubuntu forums and what more on this then.

> Nowadays video card modules are in xorg not (only) in kernel modules.
> "Grep" your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for "not found".

root at slackware:~# grep -i "not found" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
root at slackware:~#

If I start attempting to show a video nothing shows up on the X0msgs but I get about 1 frame every 2 seconds. I also haveto use -ao null or I get complains about:
[AO OSS] Can't set auduo device /dev/dsp ro s16le output
OK I have it now ... not sure why it defaults to OSS while my kernel has alsa so this got just the audio part working on the headphones:
mplayer -ao alsa -vo null <whatever video>

Aha another thing got much better framerate:
mplayer -ao alsa -vo fbdev <whatever video>
this produces no window around the video output, a horrible info box on the bottom and leaves s mess after video is finished but has acceptable framerate !
Maybe I can set some better defaults in ~/.mplayer/config and not haveto remember this stuff every time :-)
This is even better as framerate is ok but it leaves no mess and no info box:
mplayer -ao alsa -vo x11 <whatever video>

Xine does no better on video playback as it crashes shortly after starting:
root at slackware:~# xine
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  62 (X_CopyArea)
  Serial number of failed request:  4558
  Current serial number in output stream:  4563
root at slackware:~#

Not sure if this is because I'm missing some requisite .... but the output is not much help in debugging.

I'll stick to mplayer -ao alsa -vo x11 <whatever video> for the moment :-D