[ARMedslack] Slackware ARM on Small NAS (NS-K330)

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Sun May 1 18:12:55 UTC 2011

> > What's the difference between
> > ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware64-current/source
> > and
> > ftp://ftp.slackware.org.uk/armedslack/armedslack-current/source/
> >
> > Is it "Slackware ARM only includes the sources in
> situations when .... " ?
>
> Yes.
> [mozes at bourbon armedslack-13.37] $ du -sh source/
> 513M    source/
> [mozes at bourbon armedslack-13.37] $ du -sh
> ../slackware64-current/source/
> 2.5G    ../slackware64-current/source/
> [mozes at bourbon armedslack-13.37] $
>
> Most of the MBs in armedslack's sources are firefox,
> seamonkey and
> kernels.
>
> > At the time I worked on something I liked to call
> slackurus I had a
> > different approach: I used to fix the slackbuild
> scripts so that I could
> > use them for building binaries for zaurus by cross
> compilation and I had
> > my own overlall build script that looked for packages
> to build and built
> > them. But at that time either armedslack was not
> around or I did not
> > know about it ... way back in 2004 ... well also many
> other things might
> > have changed ;-)
>
> The way I did it was based on trial, error and doing my
> best to do as
> little as possible to update the packages in order to build
> them.
> There are other bits that aren't in the public tree which
> are used to show
> the differences in the x86 tree how it is now, and how it
> was when I last
> built the package.
> Updating the source files means two things:
>  - You have to keep copying them - could be scripted, but
> then what about
>    new patches? what about the old ones?
> some bits would be scriptable but
>    it's just easier not to.
>  - You then need to spend ages uploading the sources.
>
> The way I have done it has worked with minimal effort since
> 2002 :-)

Don't get me wrong ... I don't want to change how you do things I was just telling how I went about it.
But if armedslack was around since 2002 I wasted a lot of time with the slackurus thing I played with and never actually finished. I know that you can't fit armedslack in a the zaurus internal flash .... but I was already using SD as storage for root filesystem and in amy case I could have borrowed tons of packages.
Actually if I can get a satisfactory kernel I might dig up again my C1000 and use it around the place instead of my netbook ;-)

> > > armedslack-current/slackware/{a,l}
> > > directories.
> >
> > Will this build everiting ? Can I just rebuild glibc
> or is it necessary
> > to rebuild every binary that links the new glibc ? I
> was hoping that
> > since version will not be changing maybe I could do
> with just slipping
> > in the new armv5 tuned glibc: am I wrong in hoping
> this ?
>

> It'll build glibc - the glibc packages (solibs &
> zoneinfo) that are in the
> a/ series, and the main glibc packages (including the
> header files) in l/
> Look in the slackware directories or just read the build
> script - it's
> easy to figure it out.
>
> You don't need to rebuild everything that links against
> glibc (ie
> everything in the entire distribution). You're rebuilding
> glibc with
> optimisations - you're not changing the ABI or anything
> like that!
> You might want to rebuild bash too.  I've got a
> feeling you should also
> rebuild zlib.

Maybe I should let John run ahead to see if he gets some good kick out of it .... for the moment I've enough of my spare time going into the busybox micro system (wife is already complaining that I'm not helping enough with the kid).