[ARMedslack] Slackware ARM on Small NAS (NS-K330)

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Sun May 1 15:51:08 UTC 2011

> ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-current/source/README_SOURCE.txt
> Read that and download the slackware64-current tree
> (including sources)

What's the difference between
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware64-current/source
and
ftp://ftp.slackware.org.uk/armedslack/armedslack-current/source/

Is it "Slackware ARM only includes the sources in situations when .... " ?

At the time I worked on something I liked to call slackurus I had a different approach: I used to fix the slackbuild scripts so that I could use them for building binaries for zaurus by cross compilation and I had my own overlall build script that looked for packages to build and built them.
But at that time either armedslack was not around or I did not know about it ... way back in 2004 ... well also many other things might have changed ;-)

> cd armedslack-current/source/l/glibc
> sed -i 's?armv4t?armv5te?g' glibc.SlackBuild

Ok that will change just one thing in that buildscript:
-march=armv4t to -march=armv5te

> Change the BUILD number in the arm/build script to whatever
> - increase it
> or make it your own stamp - eg 4_davide
>
> Start the build (under screen would be better incase your
> host machine
> dies!)
>
> On a sheevaplug the build takes about a day to build
> natively:
>
> ./arm/build
>
> Then your packages will appear in the
> armedslack-current/slackware/{a,l}
> directories.

Will this build everiting ?
Can I just rebuild glibc or is it necessary to rebuild every binary that links the new glibc ?
I was hoping that since version will not be changing maybe I could do with just slipping in the new armv5 tuned glibc: am I wrong in hoping this ?