[ARMedslack] dockstar /etc/mtab inconsistent with /proc/mounts on current

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Tue Mar 29 08:32:57 UTC 2011

> On the dockstar none of the pseudo filesystems and tmpfs showed up in
> the mtab. This meant that doinfg a remount on any tmpfs you would
> physically remount it over and have 2 tmpfs over one another. This is
> definitely annoying and useless
>
> I know that other distro do the link thing too but I can't recall if
> they also do something else along with that (like changing default mount
> behavior not to try write in mtab as it's a link to something that is
> kernel maintained). Whatever I've more urgent issues in making root
> readonly to be 100% ctash proof.

The inconsistancy happens for meon x86_64 too, and also on my ARM boxes.
However I have never had any problem with this before and have never
noticed it on any platform.

There are some mailing list threads about people making mtab a symlink to
/proc/mounts -- I haven't read them all, but if you haven't, it'd
probably be worth a read -- this isn't a new thing!