[ARMedslack] executing at commands on modem from udev helper scripts

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Thu Mar 24 06:41:49 UTC 2011

I put up on my x86 slackware laptop a pppd helper script so that the provider is detected from the sim of my mobile internet key (which is esseintially a usm bodem) and a pppd session automatically started if a peer is setu up for that provider.

The same scrips is not working on armedslack-current running on my dockstar. It appears that on my dockstar the modem is not avalible untill all the udev scrips have finished.
I postponed the pppd helper script to 99-ppphelper.rules and even wrote c programs (while doing this with ordinary shell script on x86) to write AT commands to modem and read return values from modem but it's a no go.
I put in a sleep 20 in the helper script and noticed that while the helper script is still running the /dev/tty..... (ACM0 or USB0 depending on which usb stick I use) special characted device is not avalible for my modem untill udev is done.

Anybody know what's going on and/or have any idea how to work around the problem ?

Regards
David