[ARMedslack] rc.wireless problem

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Wed Mar 23 07:15:54 UTC 2011

> > Well it appears that the sys tree may be missing
> /sys/class/net/${1}/wireless (at least with kirkwood current
> kernel).
> > Most people would not notice this issue untill you try
> to get a wireless NIC to be correctly configures right after
> you plug it in.
> > Not sure if this is an architecture port issue, a
> kernel issue or a dockstar specific issue but I changed that
> function towork around the problem:
>
> All I can report is that on a GuruPlug with the built in
> wireless (running as an access point), I have neither the
> /sys/class/net/wireless directory nor does it show up with
> your check using iwconfig
>
> root at guruslack:/sys/class/net# l
> total 0
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 22 15:48 eth0 ->
> ../../devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.0/net/eth0/
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 22 15:48 eth1 ->
> ../../devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.1/net/eth1/
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 22 15:48 eth2 ->
> ../../devices/platform/orion-ehci.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/net/eth2/
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 22 15:48 lo ->
> ../../devices/virtual/net/lo/
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 22 15:48 uap0 ->
> ../../devices/virtual/net/uap0/
> root at guruslack:/sys/class/net# iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth1      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth2      no wireless extensions.
>
> uap0      no wireless extensions.
>
> root at guruslack:/sys/class/net#
>
> uap0 is the wireless device.

But that means you have already done something to the interface to put it in master mode.
What does iwconfig say amout it before you do that ?
The part I modified is to be run while bringing up the device at boot time ... I made more arrangements to the scripts in order to bring up the interface in AP mode: if you're intrested I can hand them over.
Anyway if before putting that to master mode iwconfig reports correctly it's ok ... if it's still wrong one could try with iw.

What does iw have to say about it (supposing it's phy0)

iw dev uap0 info
and
iw phy phy0 info

Regards