[ARMedslack] Hello

Thorsten Mühlfelder thenktor at gmx.de
Wed Mar 16 13:29:33 UTC 2011

Am Wednesday 16 March 2011 13:45:53 schrieb Davide:
> > Yes, that's possible. AFAIK you just have to place the
> > second u-boot to the
> > NAND address where originally the kernel can be found. If
> > it fails to load
> > the second u-boot the first u-boot must be able to boot
> > from usb to recover
> > things. Otherwise without JTAG you are stuck, too.
>
> Not really: you can use uboot to write to load via tftp and write to nand:
> That's how I recovered from my dockstar invalid kernel CRC.
> For anyone intrested insructions are quite clear on this on openwrt serial
> console install.

Yes, forgot about the network method. Of course it has to be compiled in,
too ;)

> > IIRC on mikrocontroller.net the layout of the JTAG
> > connector can be found.
>
> Yea I saw that but I'd still regard that as being more difficult then
> plying with uboot from serial.

Indeed. As long as I can play with serial/netconsole and a working u-boot I
won't try JTAG.

> > > ext2load- load binary file from a Ext2 filesystem
> > > ext2ls  - list files in a directory (default /)
>
> I tryed that but got nothing. meybe because this uboot does not support usb
> ... but then again where else would the dockstar have an ext2 filesystem ?
> directly on flash without any ware levelling dedicated hardware would not
> be a smart thing to do.

The included options are only a matter of configuration at compile time. And
you are right: ext2 support without usb support seems to be useless. At least
at the moment I canno imagine any useful scenario.

> I'll play with both uboot and see if I can boot armedslack in some way
> other then using openwrt as an initrd to start armedslack. If that fails
> I'll try jeff's enhanced uboot.

Some hints:
Create first partition as fat on usb stick, second partition as ext4. The
first will be the boot partition and contain your uImage.
usb start
ext2load usb 0:1 0x6400000 /uImage
setenv bootargs root=/dev/sda2 rootfstype=ext4
run bootcmd

Something like this...

--
Thorsten Mühlfelder