[ARMedslack] Hello

Thorsten Mühlfelder thenktor at gmx.de
Mon Mar 14 11:26:49 UTC 2011

Am Monday 14 March 2011 11:51:53 schrieb Davide:
> > > 4) You mentioned just renaming kernel and initrd: is
> >
> > that part of what
> >
> > > needs to be done to boot from usb ?
> >
> > 4 depends on the boot loader you are using and if you use
> > the pre-configured
> > boot commands.
>
> I'm using this:
> http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/kirkwood/openwrt-kirkwood-dock
>star-u-boot.bin Which means using the seagate uboot to load
> openwrt-kirkwood-dockstar-u-boot typing help when in the second uboot
> environment shows usb boot capabilites with useless help on it. I don't
> have the dockstar with me right nor to cut and paste a chunk of the
> terminal output and the version info directly from the system. If necessary
> I will supply it as soon as I get back home.

OK, I have no idea what commands are activated at this u-boot.
The usbload command loads the kernel from a given memory address. For better
handling I'd recommend to use the ext2load command (available in Doozan's
u-boot: http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/)
Then you can save your kernel on a ext2/ext3 boot partition and easily access
it from within linux, too. Doozan's bootloader also comes with preconfigured
boot "scripts", that run the needed boot commands automatically (e.g.
usbstart, ext2load, ...).
You just have to use correct names for uImage and uInitrd on you ext2 boot
partitions. IIRC I have changed these names in my own u-boot configuration,
so someone else certainly can provide you the needed information.

--
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org