[ARMedslack] Hello

Thorsten Mühlfelder thenktor at gmx.de
Mon Mar 14 08:37:02 UTC 2011

Am Monday 14 March 2011 08:48:23 schrieb Davide:
> 1) is the mini root tarball just a xz compressed tarball of / ?

Correct. Just untar on a partition of your choice, make some config file
adjustments and you are ready to go. A readme file exists.

> 2) how would I use the openwrt second stage boot loader to boot from a usb
> drive with the mini root on it ?
>
> 3) I see in the help that there is a bootusb (or usbboot or something to
> that meaning anyway) command: the help on it is not very helpfull so how
> would I use that to boot from mini root on usb drive ?
>
> 4) You mentioned just renaming kernel and initrd: is that part of what
> needs to be done to boot from usb ?

4 depends on the boot loader you are using and if you use the pre-configured
boot commands.

> 5) Are the slackware kirkwood kernel and initrd good for the dockstar or do
> they need to be recompiled/remade ? I hav experience on zaurus and know
> that kernels for c860 and c1000 are incompatible although the hardware
> difference is minimal.

The kirkwood kernel works fine on the dockstar. Only the LED won't work.
Therefore you'd need a patched kernel.

--
Thorsten Mühlfelder
Salix OS: www.salixos.org