[ARMedslack] TTl level serial adapter

Davide louigi600 at yahoo.it
Sun Mar 13 06:42:32 UTC 2011

Having a look on the archived I noticed that people are finding difficulty in getting shuch adapters.

Really it's not a problem it's easy and cheap:
go off to ebay and look for the cheapes nokia DKU-5 usb cable (I got 2 for less then 7 euro including shipping).
When you get it cut off the mobile phone plug and 3 wires should come out:
Blue   = GND
Yellow = RX
White  = TX

I like to put the smallest probe clips I can find around so that I don't need to fiddle with connectors for each hardware I want to interface to.

That's it !

The cable has a usb 2 serial converter in it and is designed for (I think 3.3v) ttl nevel opeation. I've used it on my dockstar successfully.

The the converter inside it is well supported even under linux (pl2303: Prolific PL2303 USB to serial adaptor).

Have fun
David