[ARMedslack] iOmega iConnect

Dave Dowell dowelld at netscape.net
Fri Jul 1 09:18:09 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I've installed ARMedslack onto one of these now.
http://go.iomega.com/en/products/network-storage-desktop/wireless-data-station/network-hard-drive-iconnect/

*Specification*

    * Desktop, compact form factor
    * Marvell 6281 CPU at 1.0GHz with 256MB RAM
    * 1 x RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps (GbE) Ethernet port
      LAN standards: IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u
    * Wireless (802.11b/g/n)
    * 4 x USB 2.0 ports (to connect external HDD, printers)
    * AC Voltage 100-240 VAC
    * Power consumption -- 5 Watts
    * Documentation localized for 18 languages, including; English,
      German, Spanish, French, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese
      Simplified, and Russian

It doesn't mention the onboard flash memory there, but it also has 512MB
of flash built in.

It's a Marvell Orion board inside, complete with the header for a TTL to
USB serial console.
The console can be rigged like this http://doip.org/iconnect_console

I've recompiled the kernel to include the following options: (Could
these be added into the standard ARMedslack kernel config please ?)
 > CONFIG_RT2800PCI=m
 > CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT33XX=y
 > CONFIG_RT2800PCI_RT35XX=y

However it probably only requires the first of them. This has made the
onboard Ralink wireless adapter available.

I'm trying to hack the mapower architecture code changes into the kernel
code to get the pretty LEDs working, but have had varying degrees of
success with that so far, I think I've got the code in and working,
however I've yet to figure out how to control the LEDs. So I'm hacking
away at the default (flash) image (debian 5) to try and figure out how
they've done it. It looks like they're controlling it with a closed
source binary atm.

The Sheeva Plug install instructions work for the install.

Anyway, other than that it works well, and it's a cheap device :-)

Thanks
Dave