[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Rich richard.lapointe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 01:25:11 UTC 2011

On 01/26/2011 04:41 PM, Christophe Lyon wrote:

> What are exactly the necessary changes? I have only uncommented the line
> server pool.ntp.org

Edit the ntp.conf file to un-comment the server pool line like this:

#server    127.127.1.0    # local clock
#fudge    127.127.1.0 stratum 10
server  pool.ntp.org
#server 192.168.101.1

> When I reboot, nothing has changed :-( uboot says 'starting kernel'
> and then nothing more.
You should not expect to see anything more on your netconsole once the
armedSlack kernel starts to boot. Did you set up the network during in
the installation?. Assuming you did need to open another terminal
screen, change to root an ssh into the dockstar from there. If you set
it up using dhcp then you'll have to check your router or something to
see what ip it assigned to the dockstar.
> At the same time, the dockstar&  usb key stop
> blinking.

The dockstar led is controlled by uboot and armedSlack's kernel doesn't
know how to control it.

> However I have noticed that e2fsck finds tons of errors like
> Inode 81277 was part of the orphaned inode list.  IGNORED.
>
> I have repeated the whole install process (+mke2fs before) several
> times, and I always get this kind of errors.
> They are reported by both arm native e2fsck on the dockstar when my
> usb key is attached to it, and by my x86 desktop PC.
> It seems very strange to me.
>
> I can't reformat it during the install process, otherwise it will the
> installer given that it contains /boot, right?

yes, you can reformat during the install process.  The installer gets
loaded into ram and the usb stick is not used after loading;
>> How long did it take for you installation?  I been using an Adata 4G usb
>> stick and it took hours to install the packages.  Base on that I really not
>> sure that this is a viable way to install armedSlack on the dockstar.
>>
> I am using a noname 4GB usb key, formatted as 3.5GB ext3, 500MB swap.
>
> I did not install Qt/KDE, nor X/XAP, nor games, nor TeX. It takes about 2h.
> The step 'processing 1002 packages' takes about 5 minutes.

Yes, about the same for me.
>> As for the serial cable, here's where I got mine.
>>
>>   http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Data-Cable-Nokia-6101-6102-6102i-6103-CA-42-/200353624748?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2ea601b2ac
>>
>> It  literally came on a slow boat from China :)
>>
> :-) Thanks for the reference.
> And then, I have to do something like that, right?
> http://www.yourwarrantyisvoid.com/2010/07/21/seagate-dockstar-add-an-accessible-serial-port/

yea, or if you are  not worry about looks and you don't mind having it
connected all the time go to Radio shack and buy a wire wrap tool
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103243&CAWELAID=107590412

Regards

Rich Lapointe