[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Rich richard.lapointe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 00:52:57 UTC 2011

On 01/26/2011 08:59 AM, Stuart Winter wrote:
>> *Maybe* we could have a page on armedslack web site like this one:
>> http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/
> You mean like this?
> http://www.armedslack.org/maint_kirkwooduboot   and hosting an adjusted script like this
>> http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh
>>
> Can't you just use nandwrite from the u-boot console?
> The script looks far too complicated:
>   - can't you just use nandwrite from the u-boot console?
>   - or use the mtd tools in linux to write it?
>
> I don't like tools which download stuff from web sites and try to automate
> things.  My preference is to include simple, pasteable commands.
> (which may happen to include wget); but it's nicer to let the user see
> what's going on.

Both Debian and plugapps do their install by a mini root file system,
not an installer like we're using.  In Debian case, Jeff has created a
completely automatic script, which I imagine is a lot of work to
maintain.  Plugapps uses instructions just i a wiki format
http://plugapps.com/index.php5?title=Ten%28ish%29_steps_to_setting_up_a_Seagate_Dockstar
All you need to do is copy and paste.   I think that instructions is all
that is needed.

By the way, the uboot variables are only needed to boot the installer,
they are not required once you go through an installation.

Regards

Rich Lapointe