[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Christophe Lyon christophe.lyon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 21:41:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:11 AM, Rich <richard.lapointe at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, i think its good news because you confirmed that the installer can be
> started and  you seem to have gone through a complete installation.  Now  I
> think you hit the next problem. The installed system doesn't boot because
> there is no real time clock in the dockstar and hence all the files have
> dates of 1969.  What's happen is when the system is booting it tries to
> check the root file system and gets an "unexpected inconsistency" and
> requires users input to do a manual fsck on the file system.  If you had a
> serial line you would be able to type in the root password and then continue
> doing a fsck.  Once completed, it would reboot into the system.  The way
> around this is to a add this file to the /etc directory.
>     ftp://laprjns.com/in/e2fsck.conf

OK, I have added this file. Belongs to root, permissions 644.

> Apparently this configuration file tells fsck to ignore bad file dates.  You
> should add this at the end of the install before rebooting.  I would also
> suggest at this time you make the necessary changes to start the ntp daemon
> on boot up.  Just do a chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd along with making the
> necessary change to /etc/ntp.conf.   It should boot after this.

What are exactly the necessary changes? I have only uncommented the line
server pool.ntp.org

When I reboot, nothing has changed :-( uboot says 'starting kernel'
and then nothing more. At the same time, the dockstar & usb key stop
blinking.

However I have noticed that e2fsck finds tons of errors like
Inode 81277 was part of the orphaned inode list.  IGNORED.

I have repeated the whole install process (+mke2fs before) several
times, and I always get this kind of errors.
They are reported by both arm native e2fsck on the dockstar when my
usb key is attached to it, and by my x86 desktop PC.
It seems very strange to me.

I can't reformat it during the install process, otherwise it will the
installer given that it contains /boot, right?

> How long did it take for you installation?  I been using an Adata 4G usb
> stick and it took hours to install the packages.  Base on that I really not
> sure that this is a viable way to install armedSlack on the dockstar.
I am using a noname 4GB usb key, formatted as 3.5GB ext3, 500MB swap.

I did not install Qt/KDE, nor X/XAP, nor games, nor TeX. It takes about 2h.
The step 'processing 1002 packages' takes about 5 minutes.

> As for the serial cable, here's where I got mine.
>
>  http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Data-Cable-Nokia-6101-6102-6102i-6103-CA-42-/200353624748?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2ea601b2ac
>
> It  literally came on a slow boat from China :)
:-) Thanks for the reference.
And then, I have to do something like that, right?
http://www.yourwarrantyisvoid.com/2010/07/21/seagate-dockstar-add-an-accessible-serial-port/