[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Wed Jan 26 13:59:39 UTC 2011

> You should put a dockstar on a wishlist so that we can buy it to you
> and then you could test and mantain armedslack on it! :-)

Hah.  I'd not put a Dockstar on it, that's for sure :-)

On a serious note: I'm very cautious about expanding the range of
"official" (meaning it works out of the box and I endevour to make sure
the OS works on it) supported devices, due to a mixture of time and
interest.

My thoughts are that if someone's interested in a device then they can
check whether the new packages work (usually kernels and x11 would be
device specific) and let me know.

> > extra points to make the installation work:
> >  - fsck config
> >  - starting NTP on boot
>
> This is what I mean, provide full instructions to install on a dockstar.

OK - give me a diff to the INSTALL_KIRKWOOD doc and I'll look at it.

> *Maybe* we could have a page on armedslack web site like this one:
> http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/

You mean like this?
http://www.armedslack.org/maint_kirkwooduboot

> and hosting an adjusted script like this
> http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh

Can't you just use nandwrite from the u-boot console?
The script looks far too complicated:
 - can't you just use nandwrite from the u-boot console?
 - or use the mtd tools in linux to write it?

I don't like tools which download stuff from web sites and try to automate
things.  My preference is to include simple, pasteable commands.
(which may happen to include wget); but it's nicer to let the user see
what's going on.

> I agree, it's a lot of work anyway but dockstars are nice! :-)

Nice as paper weights, yes ;-)