[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Claudio Cavalera claudio.cavalera at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:24:59 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:11, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

>> > Forget what I said - do what Richard said :-)
>>
>> Now I expect full official support by armed slack and the patched
>> uboot available too! :-)
>
> I expect to win the lottery too, but it ain't happened yet.

Just joking. :-)

> What does "official support" mean?

You should put a dockstar on a wishlist so that we can buy it to you
and then you could test and mantain armedslack on it! :-)

> All that I can see is that the INSTALL_KIRKWOOD doc needs a couple of
> extra points to make the installation work:
>  - fsck config
>  - starting NTP on boot

This is what I mean, provide full instructions to install on a dockstar.

> Can you actually upgradepkg the kernel packages and reboot into the new
> kernel without modifying any u-boot config?

I don't know but I think yes, in debian for sure I've already apt-get
upgraded the kernel.
However this is a test for Richard and Cristophe.

> If you give me all the u-boot stuff, I can put the u-boot binaies on the
> ftp site and link to them from the "device maintenance" page on the web
> site.
> I'm not sure where I'd put the modifying of the u-boot environment/rescue
> thing.

The rescue thing is not necessary and I would avoid it. It's just a
matter of the uboot.
*Maybe* we could have a page on armedslack web site like this one:
http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/
and hosting an adjusted script like this
http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh
which pulls out things from the armedslack website instead of doozan.com
We should inform doozan though. :-)
the fw_printenv stuff I don't think is really needed, if we could
patch the uboot to have the special bootline needed for the
dockstar...
I agree, it's a lot of work anyway but dockstars are nice! :-)

Ciao,
Claudio