[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Rich richard.lapointe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 01:11:12 UTC 2011

Well, i think its good news because you confirmed that the installer can
be started and  you seem to have gone through a complete installation.
Now  I think you hit the next problem. The installed system doesn't boot
because there is no real time clock in the dockstar and hence all the
files have dates of 1969.  What's happen is when the system is booting
it tries to check the root file system and gets an "unexpected
inconsistency" and requires users input to do a manual fsck on the file
system.  If you had a serial line you would be able to type in the root
password and then continue doing a fsck.  Once completed, it would
reboot into the system.  The way around this is to a add this file to
the /etc directory.
      ftp://laprjns.com/in/e2fsck.conf
Apparently this configuration file tells fsck to ignore bad file dates.
You should add this at the end of the install before rebooting.  I would
also suggest at this time you make the necessary changes to start the
ntp daemon on boot up.  Just do a chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd along with
making the necessary change to /etc/ntp.conf.   It should boot after this.

How long did it take for you installation?  I been using an Adata 4G usb
stick and it took hours to install the packages.  Base on that I really
not sure that this is a viable way to install armedSlack on the dockstar.

As for the serial cable, here's where I got mine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Data-Cable-Nokia-6101-6102-6102i-6103-CA-42-/200353624748?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2ea601b2ac

It  literally came on a slow boat from China :)

Regards

Rich Lapointe