[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

Rich richard.lapointe at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 20:33:22 UTC 2011

OK, I've got a way of getting the installer started on my Dockstar
without the use of a serial line.
This method requires Jeff Doozan's uboot, first because it has uboot
environments that allow to boot off a usb drive and second it installs
fw_setenv and fw_print command line routines into the pogoplugs (and
Dockstar) stock operating system.  These are needed because there are
some bootargs that need to be passed to slack installer to get the
network up and a keyboard selected.  Jeff's uboot environment includes a
variable called usb_custum_params which can be used to pass these needed
bootargs so that the installer doesn't get "stuck".   So here how it done:

1. SSH into the Dockstar stock operating system (pogoplug)
2. Install Jeff's uboot per these instructions
http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/.   After the new uboot is installed
reboot into the pogoplug operating system and ssh back in.
3.Add the needed uboot environment parameters.
     fw_setenv usb_custom_params nic=auto:eth0:dhcp kbd=uk
4. Partition a drive with  partition 1 (sda1) and format to ext2 file
system.  You may be able to use others types, but     this is the only
type I've tried.  Mount the partition:
          mkdir /tmp/sda1
         mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
5.Make a /boot directory on the new partition and copy the armedSlack
installer and kernel to it
         mkdir /tmp/sda1/boot
         cd /tmp/sda1/boot
         wget
ftp://ftp.slackware.org.uk/armedslack/armedslack-current/kernels/kirkwood/uImage-kirkwood
         wget
ftp://ftp.slackware.org.uk/armedslack/armedslack-current/isolinux/uinitrd-kirkwood.img
6.Create some symbolic links
     Jeff uboot looks to boot uImage and uInitrd so do the following
         ln -s uImage-kirkwood uImage
         ln -s uinitrd-kirkwood.img uInitrd
7.Reboot!

A word of warning, it took over three minutes to boot into the
installer, but I think this depends on the usb device that you use.  If
you have questions, check the armedSlack irc channel, I'm usually log in.
Regards

Rich Lapointe