[ARMedslack] ARMedSlack on Seagate Dockstar

richard.lapointe at gmail.com richard.lapointe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 23:51:08 UTC 2011

I got the chance to run a quick test last night so I loaded the installer and kernel onto a usb thumb drive ext2 partition, renamed them to uImage and uInitrd and booted with the existing doozan uboot and boot lines.  As seen in the pastebin boot log, it booted normally until it stuck waiting for a keyboard entry.  Since I was using a serial cable I was able to hit enter allowing the boot process to continue.  Obviously I would not have able to continue if I did not have the serial cable.
After logging in I check to see if the network interface was up and found that it was not.  I assumed then that ssh was not running.  After that I started the install process, using ftp install option.  I didn't have enough time to complete the install but I have no doubt that it would have worked.
So I would think the following three things need be addressed to allow the installer to work without the need for a serial cable:
1) Eliminate the need for a keyboard selection entry (may be a time out)
2) Start up dhcpd
3) Start up ssh

Regards
Rich Lapointe