[ARMedslack] Armedslack on the Efika i.MX515 (ARM Cortex-A8 800MHz)

lee jones slothpuck at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 18:26:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Ottavio <pr0f3ss0r1492 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 25 August 2011 21:49, lee jones <slothpuck at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The second partition contains this
> > (
> ftp://ftp.armedslack.org/armedslack/armedslack-devtools/minirootfs/roots/slack-13.1-miniroot_14Jun10.tar.xz)
>
> Excuse the silly question, did you actually extract the image on the
> partition or did just copy the archive (I said it was a silly question
> but I had to ask!).

*thinks ... I partitioned the SD card into two partitions and formatted
them; for the second partition I downloaded the slack-13.1 miniroot file and
extracted its contents onto the second SD partiton.

> > boot.script looks like this
> > setenv ramdisk uInitrd-2.6.31.14.20-efikamx;
> > setenv kernel uImage-2.6.31.14.20-efikamx;
> > setenv bootargs console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait rw;
>
> How is the second partition recognised on your smartbook (fdisk -l)?
> Did you change "root=" to point to the right partition?
> I'd also add  "rootfs=ext3" .

root= seems to be ok pointing to the correct partition. fdisk -l shows the
sd card as two partitions - /dev/mmcblk0p1 (1st sd  partition) and
/dev/mmcblk0p2 (2nd sd partition). In my  boot.script file it says
root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 .I also tried adding in rootfs=ext3 .

> Copy the original boot.script into boot.script.orig, then edit  boot.script
> and:
>
> cd /boot
> ./script-prep boot.script boot.scr

I did try that, Intrestingly if I put it all into /boot on the sd card the
efika mx won't boot from the SD card at all. I have to put everything in
root (of the SD card) to even get it to consider booting! Didn't succeed in
booting from SD though, same problem as before.

> Then, according to William Steuben's instructions:
> "If you want the initial first time boot setup to work you need to cd
> to the root filesystem of the sd card and type touch
> var/lib/oem-config/run"

Not sure but the slack 13.1 miniroot dosen't seem to have this file.

> Do this only if you have a recovery image. I don't want to be
> responsible for the life of your smartbook.
>
> And another thing: have you tried to boot from the installed Ubuntu,
> mount the Slackware partition and then chroot into it? At least you
> know if you can run that system with that kernel and those modules.

That's an intresting idea!

Just sticking with the slack 13.1 miniroot on the sd card (second partition)
I tried doing sudo chroot on the second partiton (I used df -h to get the
directory name where it is mounted in ubuntu) and it seemed to work (though
I only tried basic bash-like commands like ls, cp etc). I also tried running
pkgtool surprisingly this worked too and I was able to list all the
installed packages (In the slack 13.1 miniroot) by choosing the "view"
option.

ljones