[ARMedslack] Root on NFS and DHCP support built into the kernel?

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 14:15:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am thinking of adding DHCP support & ROOT_NFS into the kernel to support
> systems without local storage.
> These options need to be compiled into the kernel rather than as modules.
>
> Would anybody (who isn't already building their own kernels) benefit from
> these options?
>
> --
> Stuart Winter
> Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org

Hi,

I can certainly imagine aplications where this could be useful.
I *thought* about doing this (building my own kernel) but simply never
got to do it (priorities, priorities, ...).

Now, ideally, I would like to have a combination of ROOT_NFS +
wireless dongle module for the SheevaPlug.
But I guess that means building my own kernel anyway, to get the
module for the wireless chipset in there.

Well, just random ramblings and loose ideas. Like I said, never really
sat back to ponder about this more.

--
Niels Horn