[ARMedslack] setup support for installing on NFS

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Tue Apr 26 09:03:23 UTC 2011

> Last time I was trying to install ARMed Slack on my ARM board, but I wanted it
> to be installed on NFS share. My point is that, it is much easier to develop
> embedded system using NFS for its rootfs. Finally I managed to do it, but I
> think there should be better way to do so.

I agree -- this would be good, and as you say- it needs adjustment in the
installer in order to accomplish it.

> My installation procedure looked like this:
> - mounted remote NFS on /mnt,
> - used SD/MMC so the setup finally didn't complain about lack of partition,
> - in TARGET menu I selected 'Continue' without setting any target partition.

What else did you do in order to boot over nfs?
I might end up doing this myself soon, and if there's anything I can do
(eg additional kernel modules or something)
before releasing 13.37, I'd like to do it.

> BTW, I'm using ARMed Slack in my thesis, and in near future I'll give you some
> example what it can do (not robust, but gives some view).

Sounds good!

--
Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org