[ARMedslack] Slackware ARM on Small NAS (NS-K330)

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Thu Apr 21 16:12:12 UTC 2011

You would have to install it either manually using a script, or try and
use the mini root filesystem (probably the easiest route).
You could not install using the slackware installer because the installer
wouldn't even fit into RAM!

It may work though but as usual you'd have get a kernel, figure out the
boot loader etc..

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011, Giovanni wrote:

> Do you mean that I can install and run Slackware ARM on the NS-K330?
>
> best regards
> giovanni
>

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Stuart Winter <m-lists at biscuit.org.uk>wrote:
>

> > > I don't know, but I don't think you'll be happy with it regardless.
> > > The transfer speeds are going to be terribly slow - bottlenecking
> > > due to the usb2 speeds *and* the general wimpiness of the hardware.
> >
> > Yeah having built the distribution on 287MHZ RiscPCs for a couple of years
> > with 256MB RAM... I don't know how I kept going.  I guess because there
> > wasn't any better or faster supported arm hardware at the time, so I
> > didn't have anything to wish I could have ;-)
> >
> > I wouldn't bother with it. Some devices use lower speed ARM CPUs but their
> > usage (and software) is tuned to the device to match the usage with the
> > device's specs.  Slackware ARM is a generic distribution built to run
> > on the widest range of products possible, at the expense of speed in some
> > areas (which IMO can easily be re-gained by recompiling glibc and some
> > other critical libraries; but that's another topic :) ).

Stuart Winter
Slackware ARM: www.armedslack.org