[ARMedslack] Slackware ARM on Small NAS (NS-K330)

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Thu Apr 21 15:49:04 UTC 2011

> I don't know, but I don't think you'll be happy with it regardless.
> The transfer speeds are going to be terribly slow - bottlenecking
> due to the usb2 speeds *and* the general wimpiness of the hardware.

Yeah having built the distribution on 287MHZ RiscPCs for a couple of years
with 256MB RAM... I don't know how I kept going.  I guess because there
wasn't any better or faster supported arm hardware at the time, so I
didn't have anything to wish I could have ;-)

I wouldn't bother with it. Some devices use lower speed ARM CPUs but their
usage (and software) is tuned to the device to match the usage with the
device's specs.  Slackware ARM is a generic distribution built to run
on the widest range of products possible, at the expense of speed in some
areas (which IMO can easily be re-gained by recompiling glibc and some
other critical libraries; but that's another topic :) ).