[ARMedslack] Setting up distcc for cross compiling

Thorsten Mühlfelder thenktor at gmx.de
Wed Sep 8 15:39:36 UTC 2010

Am Tuesday 31 August 2010 12:03:15 schrieb Stuart Winter:
> > is there a good guide how to set up distcc to build to help building arm
> > packages on my x86_64 and i486 hosts?
>
> Yep.  Go back to the FTP site and download the script "dbuild" - I just
> put it there.

OK, had time to take a look at it. Please correct me if I'm wrong:
You are creating gcc links to distcc in a temp dir, so that distcc can be
called by usual command "gcc":
  cd /tmp/DISTCC
  ln -vfs /usr/bin/distcc gcc
  ln -vfs /usr/bin/distcc cc
  ln -vfs /usr/bin/distcc g++
  ln -vfs /usr/bin/distcc c++
  ln -vfs /usr/bin/distcc arm-slackware-linux-${EABI}c++
  ln -vfs /usr/bin/distcc arm-slackware-linux-${EABI}g++
  ln -vfs /usr/bin/distcc arm-slackware-linux-${EABI}gcc

After and to make sure distcc is called instead of original gcc you place the
directory with distcc symlinks at the beginning of the PATH. So it's not
needed to specify CC in Makefiles:
  PATH=/tmp/DISTCC:$PATH

Before distcc can be called it needs info what hosts to contact and the number
of jobs the host should run:
  export DISTCC_HOSTS="hostnameA/3 hostnameB/1 hostnameC/1"

And I probably have to do the same trick with the PATH on the host machines so
that the cross compiler is run?