[ARMedslack] Booting Slack 13.1 from eSata on Guruplug Server Plus

Blair Hoddinott blair.hoddinott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 23:49:17 UTC 2010

Hello All,

First off, I wanted to say hello to the armed slack community! Been a long
time follower and lover of Slackware for many, many, many years. When I got
my first plug a while ago (a SheevaPlug) I stumbled across the Armedslack
tree and was in heaven. Everything worked great and I was in bliss.

So when the new GuruPlugs came out, I bought 2 and some hard drives and
excitedely waited for their arrival, and grabbed a fresh copy of the 13.1
tree to await their arrival. Well, they came and that's when the fun
started.

With my first plug (the Sheeva) the powersupply gave up its ghost, so I
figured I would just move the USB hard drive over to the new guruplug, set
the boot paramaters in the NAND and then I'd be off to the races! Well,
after several days of trying to get it to work, I gave up figuring that
maybe the USB boot wouldn't cut it.

I went out this weekend and grabbed up a nice 2TB sata drive, with an eSATA
enclosure and got my heart set on ArmedSlack over eSATA with my GuruPlug.
Nothing can stop me now!

I went through the installation document meticulously, and the installation
went through without a hitch. It worked great! Until it came time to reboot.
My heart sank when through the JTAG I saw the all-too-familliar:

ext2load -- command not found

This is after I had gone through and updated to the u-boot.bin file pointed
out in the docs. I confirmed the version with what was in the help file, so
after a bit of searching I grabbed the uboot.kwb file from this page:

http://plugcomputer.org/index.php/us/resources/downloads?func=select&id=15

To be fair, I also grabbed the one from this mailing list, which I found
here:

http://oinkzwurgl.org/guruplug_uboot

Even still, after using those versions of uboot, I have this:
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
Unknown command 'ide' - try 'help'
** Block device ide 1 not supported
** Block device ide 1 not supported
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
resetting ...

I've searched for hours, and have come across the same posts time and time
again. I've tried modifying the boot parameters for ide 1:0, 0:0, 0:1... all
to no avail. Am I missing something basic?

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks in advance!

_B