[ARMedslack] A few questions on kirkwood initrd

Stuart Winter m-lists at biscuit.org.uk
Sun Nov 7 20:38:55 UTC 2010

[..]
> Though I am using a serial cable, it's theoretically possible to do
> this without the serial cable by using the fw_envset commands to alter
> the mtd3 u-Boot from within the DockStar' stock Linux install in NAND.
> Though the armedslack installer initrd startup scripts look like they
> should launch dhcpcd and dropbear, neither actually happens on bootup
> so I still had to run those commands via serial. If this were fixed,
> then no serial cable would be necessary and the install could be
> carried out purely via SSH.

This isn't broken - it's by design - you have to specify the
additional kernel parameters:
  nic=auto:eth0:dhcp

So to boot the installer, bring up the network interface, request IP by
DHCP and start SSHd:

tftpboot 0x01100000 armedslack-current/uinitrd-kirkwood.img
tftpboot 0x00800000 armedslack-current/uImage-kirkwood
setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 nodhcp kbd=uk nic=auto:eth0:dhcp root=/dev/ram rw;bootm 0x00800000 0x01100000;reset

I've added this into the INSTALL_KIRKWOOD.TXT.